School of Social Work

No. 28 M.S.W. Program in the U.S.

10333670_579059228859765_5823291248566750508_o

The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Social Work would like to welcome this year’s peer mentors.  Peer mentors are specially trained students who can provide guidance and answers to questions in ways only a student can.

Every peer mentor is academically successful, empathetic and has great communication skills. Each mentor receives professional development and mentorship training and is paired with a student through a custom matching system to ensure compatibility. This allows each student to find academic and social support from a peer who knows the ropes.

With no time or length commitments, the peer mentor program experience is tailored to the needs of the mentees. They have the option to ask their mentor a few quick questions or form a bond that lasts.

To connect with a mentor fill out the peer mentor questionnaire.

Meet the mentors

B.S.W. Peer Mentors

Allie Bashkoff

Year: Senior

Hometown: Newport News, VA

Social work interests: Pediatric/Children, health, child welfare

Internships held: Beth Sholom Lifecare Community, Circle Center Adult Day Services, Children’s Hopsital of Richmond at VCU, Sacred Heart Center

Favorite things to do: Hang out with friends, watch movies, work out and tour the Richmond area and road trip

“ I love the city environment and the diversity with the School of Social Work.”

Ashley Waddell

Year: Senior

Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA

Social work interests: Mental health, military social work, school social work

Internship held:  Peter Paul Development Center

Favorite things to do: Take walks on the beach, spend time with friends, have a spa day

“The faculty and staff of The VCU School of Social Work are the hearts of the school. They truly encourage me to explore my true interest in the profession. “

Jessica Mancuso

Year: Senior

Hometown: Richmond, VA

Social work interests: Women’s issues, mental health, children

Internships held: CCC Refugee Resettlement Program

Favorite things to do: Watch television, cook new recipes, go for a walk or a run

Like many others, I chose social work because I wanted to help people. VCU’s social work program gives me the tools to be able to work with individuals, families, organizations, and communities in a variety of ways and that is exciting to me”.

Cali Jackson

Year: Senior

Hometown: Surry, Virginia

Social work interests: International, Family Services, Community Development

Internships held: Commonwealth Catholic Charities

Favorite things to do: Running, yoga, and cooking vegan meals

M.S.W. Peer Mentors

Brett Snyder

Concentration: M.S.W. Social Work Administration Planning, Policy and Practice

Hometown: Tutusville, Pa

Social Work Interests: Low-income Latino children, Early childhood education, After school/summer programs

Volunteer or paid work experience: Boys & Girls Club of America, Charleston County School District, Sacred Heart Center, Central Virginia Food Bank, The Outreach Learning Center, Lowcounty Food Bank, Crisis Ministries, Palmetto House, Make-A-Wish Foundation, Special Olympics Inc., South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, Surfriders Foundation, Charleston Animal Society and the Sustainable Warehouse

Favorite things to do: Walk my dos in the Fan, camp, hike and hang out with friends

“I chose to study social work because I wanted to be part of the solution to the problems we are facing in the United States.”

Paula Crooks

Concentration: M.S.W. Clinical Concentration

Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA

Social Work Interests: Mental health, Juvenile justice, Substance abuse

Internships held: Virginia Beach Department of Housing and Neighborhood Preservation and Virginia Beach Department of Social Services

Volunteer or paid work experience: Virginia Beach City Public Schools,

Favorite things to do: Read, go to the beach with friends and family, travel, work out and visit art museums

“The Distance Education program enables me to pursue a top-notch education while continuing to fulfill other responsibilities.”

Name:  Hannah Mason

Hometown: Richmond, VA

Social Work Interests: Child Welfare, Families, Mental Health

Internships held: Richmond Department of Social Services, Coordinators 2 INC.

Volunteer or paid work experience: Carver Promise Mentoring, Better Housing Coalition (Randolph Senior Living), Project: HOMES

Favorite things to do: Baking, Shopping, going for hikes, exploring Richmond

“The VCU School of Social Work is dedicated to providing the necessary  support students need to become successful social workers who will make a difference, no matter where life takes them after graduation. I love knowing that my endeavors are supported fully, and that the faculty are rooting for each and every one of us.”

Name: Heather Creel

Hometown:  Roanoke, VA

Social Work Interests: Family therapy/Child therapy

Internships held: Hospice Community Care

Volunteer or paid work experience: Safe Harbor (Shelter for Women and Children), RHART team, Comfort Zone Camp

Favorite things to do: Meditate, Watching Netflix, reading, going out with friends

“In the VCU M.S.W. program I have been able to learn from many diverse perspectives which has helped me to develop greater self-awareness in a safe environment. In just my first year I have made lifelong friendships and gained a network of amazing individuals.”

Niti Patel

Hometown: Charlottesville, VA

Social Work Interests: Mental health, trauma in children and youth, LGBTQIA population

Internships held: City of Charlottesville Department of Social Services, Virginia Treatment Center for Children

Volunteer or paid work experience: Virginia Organizing Project, ROSMY, The Choice Group, Computers4Kids, Charlottesville/Albermale Regional Jail, Camp Dragonfly (Hospice Camp), Crisis Hotline

Favorite things to do:  Exercising, playing soccer, walking my dog, and cooking with friends and family

“I appreciate the diversity that VCU offers, as well as the support and strong sense of community within the M.S.W. program.”

Jasmine Turner

Hometown: Goochland, VA

Social Work Interests: Domestic violence, Mental health, Child welfare

Internships held:  Goochland-Powhatan Community Services Board (GPCSB) in the Mental Health Skill-building Services Division

Volunteer or paid work experience: Safe Harbor Shelter

Favorite things to do: Journaling, meditating, spending time with family and friends

“Through social work, I have discovered my essence and reason for being. I look forward to serving as an MSW Peer Mentor for students at the VCU School of Social Work and giving back to the school through service in the future.”

Melissa Assalone

Concentration: M.S.W. SWAPPP Concentration

Hometown: Madison, WI

Social Work Interests: Policy and Legislative Practice, Healthcare Policy, Nutrition Policy

Internships held: The Neighborhood Resource Center-Community Organizing Intern, Governors Fellowship Program

Volunteer or paid work experience: Young Life

Favorite things to do: Running, Hiking, Shopping

“I decided to be a social worker after realizing my passion for research and for people could marry into one career path.  I am passionate about changing the world through the lens of research and policy and am thankful to be receiving a M.S.W. degree that lets me do both.”

Categories Students
Tagged