VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

Today we’re highlighting another student as part of our recognition of National Nurse Practitioner Week. Meet Rachel Benson, a Master’s student (Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Concentration) who is a graduate teaching assistant at the School of Nursing.

Q. Why did you decide to go back to school to become an NP?

A. I have seen a deficit of mental health providers in my rural hometown (Spottswood, VA) and want to be able to develop my own practice that offers a therapeutic and trauma informed environment. It is my hope to offer a safe space and quality evidence-based care to people of color and the LGBTQ + community who frequently experience discrimination in my area.

Q. What drew you to VCU’s NP program?

A. I have heard excellent reports from graduates of VCU’s psychiatric nurse practitioner program and have met many excellent providers who were educated through VCU. I enjoy learning in a diverse community and an academic setting which continuously seeks new research data and teaches the most current evidence-based practice.

Interested in learning how you can become a nurse practitioner through our Master’s program or other NP pathways? Request more information at this link. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe45-0hIvZf1yyeNJGSMX9Sh-v8sCMztkYm5YRuMEny7iXnFg/viewform

Categories News, Students