VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

We couldn’t be more proud of our VCU School of Nursing alumni who are working all over the world in various capacities to keep our communities and families safe and healthy. Meet Jo Robins (M.S.‘91/N, Ph.D.‘99/N), RN, ANP-BC, AHN-C, FAANP, associate professor and interim Ph.D. program director at the VCU School of Nursing. Jo also maintains an active practice as a holistic adult nurse practitioner at the Health Brigade, Virginia’s oldest free clinic, in Richmond.

Q. What do you enjoy most about being a nurse? 

A. What I enjoy most about being a nurse is that we encompass the art and science of caring. I love volunteering in a local free clinic taking care of patients. While I am not on the frontlines, leading with caring comes naturally to nurses and has inspired me to do whatever I can to donate time, energy and resources in our community as we navigate these unprecedented and uncertain times.  

Q. How has your VCU School of Nursing education prepared you for your work as a nurse, particularly in dealing with situations such as the COVID-19 pandemic?  

A. The VCU School of Nursing is first and foremost a supportive and engaged environment focused on exemplary education. I experienced this as a student, having graduated from both the Master’s and Ph.D. program here and as a faculty member. It is an “all boats rise” organization that comes together to take care of each other. This is reflected in our tagline “Creating Collaboration. Advancing Science. Impacting Lives.” Centered in a caring environment of brilliant and dedicated individuals, I learned how to do these three things in teaching, practice, and research.

Q. What words of encouragement or advice would you offer to current and future nurses?

A.  I have been a nurse for almost three decades and there is no better profession. To have the honor of being with people when they need you most, to be able to share in joys and sorrows and to know you are making a difference every day is priceless. We are the most trusted profession, we have always risen up in the face of challenges. The pride and gratitude I feel in being a nurse fills my heart and helps me rise up even in the face of the greatest challenges.  

Categories Alumni and Friends
Tagged , ,