VCU Langston Center inducts interprofessional experts as Affiliate Scholars
The VCU Langston Center for Innovation in Quality and Safety recently inducted 18 interprofessional experts in innovation, quality and safety in its inaugural cohort of Affiliate Scholars. The ceremony was held at the VCU School of Nursing following the earlier Bresenoff-Feierstein Innovation Lecture featuring ‘Big Idea’ founder and author Bill Bishop.
The scholars, a diverse group of individuals from universities and health systems regionally, nationally and internationally, will offer strategic advice to Langston Center programs. They will also engage with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement Richmond Chapter and identify health challenges of patients and populations to generate improvement strategies through creative support of scholar peers.
“What this group represents is a bold willingness to positively address some of the most vexing problems facing health care today,” said Langston Center Director Michael Bleich, Ph.D., RN, FAAN. “The range of expertise represented includes expertise in design thinking, quality and safety models, implementation science, measurement, product and device development, technology transfer, patient experience, organizational theory, curriculum development, policy, and much more.”
The following individuals were inducted as Affiliate Scholars in a ceremony on Oct. 15, 2019:
- Kathy Baker, Ph.D., RN, NE-BC, associate vice president and associate chief nursing officer, VCU Health System
- Genevieve Beaird, Ph.D., RNC-PB, CNE, clinical assistant professor, VCU School of Nursing
- John Bowles, Ph.D., RN, CENP, associate vice president and associate chief nursing officer, VCU Health System
- Holly Buchanan, DNP, ANP-BC, assistant professor, James Madison University School of Nursing
- Joel Bundy, M.D., FACP, CPE, vice president and chief quality and safety officer, Sentara Healthcare
- Mary Coffey, Ph.D., M.P.H., NEA-BC, director of ambulatory nursing, VCU Health System
- Jane Chung, Ph.D., RN, assistant professor, VCU School of Nursing
- Jayne Davey, M.S.N., RN-BC, CNN, nurse educator, VCU Health System
- Salvador Gullo Neto, M.D., Ph.D., assistant professor, PURCE School of Medicine in Brazil and visiting faculty at San Diego State University
- Terry Jones, Ph.D., RN, associate professor, VCU School of Nursing
- Alison Monpetit, Ph.D., RN-BC, director of nursing research and innovation, VCU Health System
- Mary Morin, M.S.N., RN, NEA-BC, system vice president for safety and employee health, Sentara Healthcare
- Peter Pidcoe, PT, D.P.T., Ph.D., professor and assistant chair in the Department of Physical Therapy, VCU College of Health Professions and director of the Engineering and Biomechanics Lab
- Ingrid Pretzer-Aboff, Ph.D., RN, FGSA, associate professor and senior nurse researcher, VCU School of Nursing
- Christopher Schreiner, M.S.Ed., academic evaluation and analytics specialist, VCU School of Nursing
- Shelly Smith, DNP, ANP-BC, clinical associate professor and director of the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program, VCU School of Nursing
- Trina Trimmer, M.S.N., RNC-MNN, director of quality and safety, VCU Health System
- Garret Westlake, Ph.D., associate professor and executive director, VCU da Vinci Center for Innovation
Located in the VCU School of Nursing, the Langston Center is a multi-agency, multi-disciplinary resource with a mission to bridge innovation and ensure that quality and safety are built into design thinking, to address trends and issues that pose quality and safety risks to the public, and to educate and advance the development of providers, faculty, staff, and the public on ways to ensure positive outcomes.