Do You Have Low Back Pain? The VCU School of Nursing is Seeking Research Study Participants
Do you have low back pain? The VCU School of Nursing is conducting a research study funded by the National Institutes of Health to evaluate pain sensitivity during an episode of acute low back pain. Participants will complete questionnaires about their pain and have a sensory assessment. Blood will be drawn at each visit. Study visits may occur every 6 weeks for up to 6 months.
You may be eligible for this study if you:
• are between 18-50 years of age
• have experienced acute low back pain over the last 24 hours but
• less than 4 weeks duration
• have been diagnosed with non-surgical low back pain
You will not be eligible for the study if you:
• have chronic pain in your lower back or somewhere else in your body
• have weakness in your lower extremities
• are pregnant or up to 3 months postpartum
• have had lumbar spinal surgery
Eligible volunteers may receive compensation and parking vouchers for their participation.
If you are interested in participating in this study, please contact Angela Starkweather, Ph.D., ACNP-BC, CNRN, principal investigator and chair of the Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems, at (804) 628-8262.
For more information about the low back pain research study, click here.