VCU School of Nursing News Archive

Visit nursing.vcu.edu/news for news features published after November 2023

User uploaded custom header image

Hey everyone!! Africa is beautiful! We’ve been here a week and have already done so much. Last Sunday was a GREAT day for me because I got to hold a lion cub! I am huge animal lover and we visited a lion park. For about $6, you could hold a lion cub for about 10 min. I held a 2 month old, 40lbs male cub named Peter. He was adorable and very well behaved (probably because he was still sleepy from his nap!) The trainer told me that lions only sweat between the pads on their feet and they are born with their claws intact, this guys paws were HUGE and so were his claws! On Monday and Tuesday we had orientation to NMMU and the nursing program. Wednesday I visited Motherwell clinic and was given a tour and saw how the sisters run things. It was very enlightening and interesting to see how a clinic functions here as opposed to ours back at home. Yesterday was a fabulous day, we went to Sapphire Primary School and took a tour with the principal and met the workers from Emmanuel Home Health center. The kids there were so happy and excited to see us. They loved to have their picture taken and the girls would pose like supermodels for you!! Today we visited a traditional healer and then went to a craft bazaar. More later!! – Margaret

Categories Students