March 22, 2016 

Samuel Wojcicki, a member of VCUs’ Honors College and senior in Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, has been awarded a Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Junior Fellowship for 2016-2017. Wojcicki is the first VCU student to be awarded a Carnegie Junior Fellowship.

SamWojcicki - Carnegie_PressRelease

Wojcicki, a Presidential Scholar from Powhatan, Virginia, will graduate in May with a Bachelor’s of Science in Chemical Engineering and Chemistry and a minor in Mathematics.

“Completing my engineering & chemistry degrees equipped me with the tools needed to access the modern economy and to give back to my community. Now as I move forward, I believe pursuing the study of policy will allow me to do the most with these tools. The junior fellows program at the Carnegie Endowment, and especially the Climate & Energy Program, is a perfect opportunity to learn the ins and outs of policy formation and advocacy. The Endowment’s work not only captures my interests, but will allow me to learn in a dynamic environment within a prestigious institution,” Wojcicki said.

The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace is an organization dedicated to advancing cooperation between nations and promoting active international engagement by the United States.  Each year the endowment offers approximately 10-12 one-year fellowships to uniquely qualified graduating seniors and individuals who have graduated during the past academic year. They are selected from a pool of nominees from close to four hundred participating colleges. Carnegie Junior Fellows work as research assistants to the Endowment’s senior associates.

“I’ll be working with the Energy and Climate Program at the Carnegie Endowment. This group works to inform global leaders on relevant policy while mitigating the risks inherent from climate change and competition for resources in the global economy,” Wojcicki said.

Upon his completion of the fellowship, Wojcicki plans to attend graduate school focusing on Public Policy or Public Policy & Engineering.

“Being the first person from VCU to be awarded the fellowship was a big surprise. I’m grateful for the opportunity to represent VCU and am exceptionally appreciative for all those here who helped me throughout the application and interview process.

Wojcicki worked with the National Scholarship Office (NSO) while applying for the Carnegie Junior Fellowship. The NSO works with VCU students and alumni who wish to compete for prestigious national and international scholarships.

“If I could offer future applicants advice, first, it would be to trust those here who can help you.  I benefited from the assistance of the advisors at the National Scholarship Office as well as professors who I have come to know over the years. Secondly, the most daunting part in the application is writing about policy in a short-form essay. It is essential you write about your beliefs in a clear and concise way,” Wojcicki said.

If you are interested in applying for the Carnegie Junior Fellowship or other nationally or internationally competitive scholarships, please contact the NSO at natlscholar@vcu.edu.

Categories Carnegie Award, NSO General Information, NSO Student Features