OCME seeks a forensic laboratory analyst for its Forensic Biology Laboratory. Under the general direction of the Assistant Directors of the Department of Forensic Biology and specifically under the supervision of a Criminalist, level IV, incumbent will join the Quality Assurance group and will be responsible for assisting in the performance of all QA/QC related tasks the Department of Forensic Biology of the Office of Chief Medical Examiner for the City of New York. Duties will include but are not limited to:
• Receives on-the-job training in the examination of physical evidence.
• Receives comprehensive training and instruction in the various techniques used in the collection, preservation, handling, and receipt of evidentiary materials.
• Receives training in the routine preventive maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment and analytical instruments.
• Researches and is training in proper laboratory standards and quality control procedures.
• Assists in the DNA analysis of evidentiary material such as hairs, body fluids and other biological evidence, using state of the art molecular techniques.
• Assist in the microscopic, chemical, physical instrumental and quantitative methods of analysis of biological evidence.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, with specialization in criminalistics, forensic science, chemistry, biology, physics, molecular genetics, genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, entomology, anthropology, ecology or a closely related scientific or engineering field. Candidates must submit college transcripts proving successfully passing (grade C or greater) the following course requirements: Graduate or undergraduate level courses covering the subject areas of BIOCHEMISTRY, GENETICS, STATISTICS, and MOLECULAR BIOLOGY (Molecular genetics, recombinant DNA technology) or other subjects which provide a basic understanding of the foundation of Forensic DNA analysis for a total of nine credit hours. These course requirements will be audited by the DNA Technical Leader.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: nyc.gov/ocmecareers Job ID#530406