Spring Internships with the VA OCME Medicolegal Death Investigators
Apply by November 19, 2021
The Richmond office of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) is offering two internship opportunities with their Medicolegal Death Investigators this coming spring. The internship will be for credit and requires registering for the FRSC 493 course.
Students wishing to apply need to first meet the following eligibility requirements:
- be an FRSC major (currently enrolled)
- have completed FRSC 300 with a minimum grade of C
- have a GPA of at least 2.75
- have a FRSC faculty member recommend you for the internship*, if selected
- enroll in 3 credits of FRSC 493**, if selected
- be willing and capable of working in a morgue environment for a total of ~16hr***
- be available for a MWF OR TTh schedule, for a total of ~125hr for the semester
- be willing to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status (unvaccinated individuals are eligible), if selected
*If selected for the internship, the faculty member simply needs to sign a form to offer their recommendation; a letter is not needed. This is basically a faculty member vouching for you, indicating that they think you will do a good job and represent VCU well in a professional environment.
**More information about the requirements of FRSC 493 can be found here.
***Students interested in participating in the internship should know that they will be exposed to autopsies and will be working in a morgue environment. If you feel that you wouldn’t be able to stomach that aspect of the course, you should not apply.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, the next step is to apply here. You will need the following to apply:
- the name of the faculty member willing to offer a recommendation (they don’t need to do anything until you are selected, at which point they simply need to sign a form)
- your current resume/CV (PDF form)
- a letter of interest (PDF form)
The OCME will evaluate all qualified applicants and choose two interns. Their timeline is as follows:
- applications are due Friday, November 19
- interviews will be conducted on Wednesday, December 1 for select individuals
- interns will begin in January 2022
If you have any questions, please feel free to email Dr. Connon at firstname.lastname@example.org