Forensic Scientist 2/DNA -Idaho
Open for Recruitment: February 10, 2021 until filled
Rate of pay: $27.36 to $29.51 per hour. This position provides no benefits.
- Provide scientific and technical expertise in genetics and STR DNA analysis.
- Follow analytical methods and the quality and safety procedures.
- Document quality controls and work.
- Author STR DNA reports
- Calculate statistics using STRmix™
- Check that the report issued for analysis they perform is accurate.
- Report results of all analysis performed through written/electronic reports.
- Provide expert testimony in complex STR DNA analysis, genetics, relevant population statistics and probabilistic genotyping.
Minimum Qualifications: A baccalaureate degree in biology, chemistry, or a closely related field. Analysts working in the Forensic Biology discipline must have successfully completed a minimum of seventeen (17) semester (or 26 quarter) units of chemistry or biology related college level coursework. Coursework must include at least one course each in biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology totaling 9 semester (or 14 quarter) units. Additionally, coursework in statistics or population genetics is required. Two years of *qualifying work experience as a forensic scientist conducting DNA analysis supported by appropriate training. *Qualifying work experience for the DNA Forensic Scientist 2 includes a minimum of two (2) years working independently, planning, managing, and prioritizing STR DNA caseloads; successfully engaging in independent research, evaluation, and validation activities associated with STR DNA; performing and documenting a range of examinations regarding human STR DNA analysis of casework samples including statistical analysis of single source, mixtures and complex mixtures; providing training and consultation services to professional criminal justice and scientific audiences; and testifying as an expert regarding STR DNA examinations, as applicable.
How to Apply: Email your detailed curriculum vitae (CV) and an unofficial copy of your transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of: FS2 DNA Report Writer. CV’s received without accompanying transcripts will not be considered. If a candidate receives a conditional offer of employment, sealed transcripts will then be required. If you have any experience in these areas, please include it within your CV:
- Qualifying work experience in forensic STR DNA casework
- Certification with the American Board of Criminalistics
- Fellow with the American Board of Criminalistics in the area of Molecular Biology
- Member of related professional organization(s)
- Graduate degree in Biological Science
- Experience performing audits under the FBI’s DNA quality assurance standards and/or ISO 17025 standards
- Experience using automation as it applies to the analysis of DNA samples in a forensic laboratory
- Experience using CODIS as an analyst or administrator and knowledge of the NDIS operation procedures as it applies to DNA eligibility requirements