FORENSIC SCIENTIST/ Firearms & Toolmarks
The Virginia Department of Forensic Science is seeking a court qualified applicant to serve as a Forensic Scientist in the Firearms and Toolmarks Section in the Eastern Regional Laboratory, located in Norfolk, Virginia.
Qualified candidates must be eligible to apply for the Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners (AFTE) membership, have completed a documented training program and/or demonstration of competency in at least one of the following categories:
- Firearm and Toolmark comparison analysis or
- Firearm comparison analysis
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- Successful completion of a documented forensic scientist firearm training program and/or demonstration of competency in the examination of firearms, unfired ammunition, fired ammunition components, serial number restorations, clothing examination for distance determination and expert testimony
- Experience documenting observations, writing and issuing reports, preparing exhibits of evidence for court and precisely explaining and defending scientific results
Applicants must apply electronically using the State of Virginia’s Recruitment Management System (RMS) by March 2, 2020. The RMS can be accessed using the link: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. Contact Julie Smith at (804)588-4053 for assistance.