School of Business

VCU Blogs

Brittany Elmore headshot

By Megan Nash

Long before Dr. Brittany Elmore became an academic advisor and adjunct instructor at the VCU School of Business, she was just like the students she helps–eager, ambitious and maybe a little unsure of where her journey would take her. Now, she’s guiding the next generation as they navigate those same paths. But what sparked her passion for education, and what keeps her going every day? Let’s take a closer look.

Where can we find you on the VCU map?

You can find me at the VCU School of Business (Snead Hall) in the Student Success suite (B1100).

Can you share a bit about your educational journey? Where did you go to school, and what was your major?

I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in marketing from Cheyney University of Pennsylvania in 2012 and an MBA from Eastern University in 2015. I completed my Ed.D. in Educational Leadership from Gratz College in late 2023.

What inspired you to pursue a career in your field, and how has your journey evolved over the years?

I’ve always loved being in environments where people were learning. Although I had not planned for a career in higher education after I completed my master’s degree in business administration, I landed a position at an art school in Philadelphia that gave me my start. Through that initial experience and with the help and encouragement from great mentors, I found out how much I loved working with students and being deeply immersed in the educational process. My roles have evolved over the years, ranging from student services to academic affairs, and I’m enjoying every transition and interaction. The fulfillment I get from what I do and have done in higher education is unmatched.

Are there any key accomplishments or milestones in your career that you’re particularly proud of?

Completing my doctoral program is my favorite milestone so far. I’m sure there will be others, but this is a special one. Earning the doctorate took a lot of thought, a lot of time and so much patience. There were many tests and challenges, but I appreciate the things I have learned about the world around me and about myself from that process.

What’s something about your job that most people might find surprising or unexpected?

One surprising aspect of my job in advising that most people outside of higher education might not realize is how much we don’t just talk about classes and schedules. It may surprise folks to learn that advisors play a crucial role in helping students navigate personal challenges, set career goals and balance multiple aspects of their lives, all of which impact their academic success. We focus mainly on guiding them through their entire educational journey and personal development. We become mentors and an important part of their college experience.

What is a book that you can read over and over again, or a band you can listen to on repeat?

A book that I love to read over and over again is The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. She has a way with words that is remarkable. I can listen to Stevie Wonder on repeat all day, every day as well. I encourage everyone to listen to at least one Stevie Wonder song a day.

Where’s your favorite dining spot on campus or around RVA?

I’m still exploring RVA, but so far, Village Cafe is a favorite of mine. I’m getting the Country Fried Steak every time. It’s such a savory, cozy meal.

Categories News
Tagged