New State Employee Health Coverage Eligibility for Part-Time Faculty and Classified Staff
The Virginia Department of Human Resource Management (DHRM), which administers the state health benefits program, announced yesterday that, beginning June 25, 2014, part-time salaried faculty and classified staff who work 30 hours or more per week will be considered full-time for the purpose of health benefits and, thereby, eligible for the employer contribution to health care premiums. This change results from the federal Affordable Care Act and state legislation.
Eligibility for coverage remains limited to the following employee groups:
- 9/10- and 12-month faculty contracted for one full academic year or longer, and
- classified staff
With this change, eligible employees working between 30 and 31.9 hours who are already enrolled in state health coverage (COVA Care, COVA HealthAware, COVA HDHP or Kaiser Permanente) will automatically begin receiving the employer premium contribution beginning with the July 16, 2014 paycheck.
Please note these additional details:
- The change from part-time to full-time status under the program that starts on June 25 is a qualifying mid-year event. This means that current participants and newly eligible part-time employees have an opportunity to make allowable health coverage and membership changes within 60 days of June 25.
- Eligible employees may enroll or request changes using Employee Direct or a paper enrollment form, indicating the qualifying mid-year event: “Employment Change – Part Time to Full Time.” Approved enrollments and changes will become effective on the first of the month after receipt by VCU Benefits if requests are received within 60 days of June 25.
- No flexible spending changes are permitted due to this change in status.
- The change to “full-time” status under the health benefits program is for state health plan purposes only, and does not change part-time employment status with VCU.
For information about available plans and programs, visit http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/hbenefits/employeestoc.html.
For premium rates, visit http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/hbenefits/OpenEnrollment2014/ActivePremiums2014.pdf.
9/10- and 12-month faculty and classified staff who work 20-29 hours per week remain eligible for state health coverage but ineligible for the employer contribution to health care premiums